Friday, April 27, 2007

Room full of wheels and other fun bits


Walking wheel
Originally uploaded by sparklingscraps.
Over the weekend Locust Grove was having a Revolutionary war re-enactment. This included various troop manuevers all sorts of fun to look at costumes and fun demonstrations to look at. I just love to walk around and look at all of that sort of thing and try to imagine what it might have been like to live at that time and place. Probably my favorite demonstration was given by a man who showed all of the steps that it takes to go from flax straight out of the field to linen ready to spin. Whew! I think I will stick to getting my linen ready to go thank you very much. I also enjoyed talking to a lady who was drop spindling. She was evidentally just getting into it and had a couple of wheels that she was trying to learn how to use too. Afterwards my hubby said he could really appreciate the difference between what her technique looked like compared to mine. Of course she was getting more of that beginning thicker and thinner yarn that everyone has in the beginning. Now when I try to go back to that I just can't seem to acheive it like I did back then. She was sitting as part of a sewing circle and it was really neat to see all of the different types of projects that everyone was working on.

No comments: